Know About Privilege
To understand oppression, we must understand its opposite – privilege.
Understanding what privilege means and its impact is essential to understand how those without privilege suffer systemically on a personal, institutional and structural level.
Consider some questions:
1) Do I often hear about the positive contributions people from my communities have made to science, art, media, protecting the country?
2) Can I stand on the street and talk to a couple ofsome friends without being harassed by the police or seen as a threat to the community?
3) Have I been told that it’s a shame that I’m dark skinned because it will be harder to find someone who’ll find me attractivemarry me?
4) Have I been told not to try for a job because I wouldn’t get it due to how I look/my race?
5) Would I willingly walk in the shoes of a black person for a day instead of my own?
Sources & Further reading on Whiteness & Privilege