Muslim and Minority Ethnic women in Dundee, we have a fantastic opportunity for you! Amina Muslim Women’s Resource Centre and V&A Dundee and working together to develop and deliver a training programme to upskill and support local women to become museum tour guides. Through tours with museum staff, English language support, personal development workshops and one to one support, we aim to upskill you to deliver tours of the museum in both English and in your own community language. There is even the possibility to be paid the living wage to deliver tours should you meet museum standards!
This is a terrific opportunity to develop personally and professionally. If you join the training programme you will receive:
- A guided tour of V&A Dundee and it’s core collections with an experienced member of V&A Dundee staff.
- Access to 24 hours of English language classes to familiarise yourself with the language needed to provide tours of the museum.
- Tour guide training from V&A Dundee and the opportunity to shadow existing tour guides to see for yourself how it should be done.
- Access to fun, interactive workshops to boost your confidence, self-esteem and resilience to do the job of a tour guide.
- Support from Amina’s Capacity Building Officer and Employability Project staff to help you achieve your personal development goals.
- The chance to deliver tours of V&A Dundee in English and in your community language should you meet freelance tour guide standards.
This is a first for Amina MWRC and we are very very excited about the opportunities it presents. Please take note of the following;
- Amina classes are for women only. However, training and working in the V&A Dundee will involve speaking to all types of people. This will not be a women-only environment.
- As always, to help make life that little bit easier, Amina will cover transport costs to attend our classes, and if arranged in advance, we can cover childcare expenses up to the value of £6 an hour on proof of receipt.
Does this sound good? Do you want to get involved and give yourself a new challenge? Then register by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling the office on 01382 787 450.
The first tour guide training programme is scheduled to start week commencing Monday 22nd of October for a minimum 8 hours per week.
A launch event is scheduled for 5th October, from 10 – 11:30am at V&A Dundee.
Online bookings are not available for this event.